Saturday, January 16, 2010

Richard III: "Woe to the land that's governed by a child"

...Especially when that child just turned 21! I may not actually be the Queen of England, but today, I really feel like one.

Yesterday was an absolutely amazing day. We started off with a trip to the Tower of London, which is one of my favorite sights in the city (Oh, what am I saying? They're all my favorite sights in the city) The girls and I followed a beefeater around who kept demanding to know that we knew how many towers are actually in the Tower of London (the answer is 20). We learned so much history from him and some really great (and horribly grisly) stories.

One of these is the tale of James Scott, Duke of Monmouth who was publicly executed for rebelling against James II. All was going smoothly (or at least as smoothly as your execution can g0) until it was time for the actual head slicing. His executor, a butcher and drunk named Jack Ketch, used both of his skills at once when it took him 5 blows to actually sever Scott's head from his body. He eventually even gave up on the axe and just pulled out one of his carving knives to finish the job. As if that wasn't bad enough, he then had is head sewn back on to his body, for what reason no one knows.

I must be completely sick in the head for thinking this is one of the coolest stories ever.

Of course this is also the famous holding site of Sir Walter Raleigh and St. Thomas More, and even more famously, the location of the silent execution of Anne Boleyn who had her head chopped of by broadsword while she prayed. All this blood and gore talk wouldn't be complete without at least one mention of Richard III, who allegedly killed his nephews to gain the throne. Hence, the title.

And of course, being girls, we had to go see the Crown Jewels. There were some very fancy spoons, some very heavy looking crowns, a giant punch bowl (Aptly named the Grand Punch Bowl-I'm not joking) and one ENORMOUS diamond called the Star of Africa. Let me just tell all the gentlemen out there: your engagement ring to the person you love will never be good enough compared to this rock. 530 clear carats. It's ridiculous.

Here are some photos:
The tower from outside the wall


Traitor's Gate
Some guards, chillin.
Tower Bridge
Awkward photo in the Vault
Tower?

Afterwards, Megan and I got the chance to see our wonderful friend Emile, who showed us around the London School of Economics, and then we headed home to get ready for some birthday festivities.

The girls had purchased some props at the Tower of London gift shop (which you will see momentarily), so I was the Queen of England for the night, a child ruling the land. We went out to a place called the Notting Hill Arts Club, and I may have found my new favorite place. Last night was called Funk Royale, where they (shockingly!) played funk music all night. The DJ even made several birthday announcements, but I'm sure no one heard them because the club was packed. I had such a super duper time and I need to thank all of my peeps for coming with me. You're the best. Now a few more photos:

The girls (minus Megan?)- please notice the crown.
Our darling friend Nathan!


No comments:

Post a Comment